Author Topic: Letter to Hilton Hotels CEO  (Read 1792 times)

Offline Ochotona

• Supporting Member
  • Gun Show Attendee
  • Cats, beware of Mouse Guns
    • View Profile
Letter to Hilton Hotels CEO
« on: August 05, 2013, 03:08:15 PM »
5 August 2013

Christopher J. Nassetta
President & CEO
Hilton Worldwide
7930 Jones Branch Drive
McLean, Virginia 22102

Dear Mr. Nassetta:

I travel to all corners of the world out of Houston for my employer, the ____________ company. Stavanger, London, Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Cairo (though not recently!), Jakarta, Perth, Buenos Aires, Al-Khobar Saudi Arabia, Mumbai, Kuala Lumpur, Calgary have been on my itinerary recently.

Recently, I had the privilege of redeeming some hard-earned HHONORS points for a romantic getaway with my wife at the Hilton at 2001 Post Oak Blvd., Houston. Imagine my surprise when I found so-called “30.06” language on the exterior doors which specifically forbids the carry of concealed handguns onto your premises by Texas Concealed Handgun Licensees (CHL) such as myself.

By the way, Hilton caused a huge nightmare in a similar way for the 2013 NRA convention in Houston, which had 86,000 attendees. Many of us carried guns to this show, which was in the George R. Brown Convention Center, physically attached to your Hilton by a breezeway. Not one of the 86,000 NRA guests that weekend was a shooter or got shot, by the way. A good time was had by all. But I heard that many people refused to cross the “30.06” no guns signage and therefore did not attend the Friends of NRA banquet held at the Hilton. I did not attend for this reason, but I had no idea the same signage was in place at 2001 Post Oak Blvd. Hence, my near-conflict with it this weekend.

It turns out, Mr. Nassetta, that people with Texas Concealed Handgun Licenses are less likely to get into trouble with the law than Texas police officers. Therefore, to single out Texas CHLs is a completely ludicrous way to address the issue of crime in our society and on your properties. Criminals, by definition, do not obey signs and laws. They carry guns wherever they wish. The only thing the “No Texas CHL guns allowed” signs do is establish your hotel as a zone where no decent person is going to have a gun, only criminals. And that is a situation I do not care to be in, if I have a choice.

Having in mind my personal safety, and my desire to not support businesses that infringe upon my Constitutional rights, I am going to have to make an affirmative decision to not stay at any Hilton, Waldorf Astoria, Conrad, DoubleTree, EmbassySuites, Hilton Garden Inn, Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites, or Home2 properties. Also I am going to publish this letter on as many Internet properties as I can find.

I am not being unreasonable in my request to have these “30.06” signs taken down. None other of your competitors treats travelers in this manner; only Hilton. There are too many other good competing offers from Marriott, International Hotel Group, etc., and I don't get treated like a criminal.

I have no problem with your properties having general “No guns allowed” signs. In fact, I encourage it!  People who are ignorant of the law might heed such a sign and not take guns with them. The criminals won't be discouraged, but the uninformed, unlicensed, unauthorized ignoramus might. That's a good thing. But when signage is erected with the specific language that creates a specific legal barrier to entry to the Texas CHL, that's absurd, and I refuse to put up with it. I will take my corporate travel dollars elsewhere.
Ochotona Princeps

Online Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Just Plain Scary
  • Same S#!± Different Day
    • View Profile
Re: Letter to Hilton Hotels CEO
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2013, 03:36:24 PM »
AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!  :th_thicon_idea: :th_thicon_idea: :th_thicon_idea: :th_thicon_idea: :th_thicon_idea: :th_thicon_idea:
Jeb
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

"...........Not that I'm into hugging dudes..........." 

Online Domineaux

• Administrator
  • Tactical Genius
  • Work from home server admin and family man
    • View Profile
    • Suggestions by Domineaux
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2013, 03:41:49 PM »
Love it!
"One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."

Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!
Suggestions by Domineaux
-Tony

Offline challl80

• Supporting Member
  • Always in the 10 Ring
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2013, 03:56:33 PM »
Chris scratches Hilton off the list...
Chris

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.

'Some folks look at me and see a certain swagger, which in Texas we call "walking"' - George W. Bush

Offline gueroaero

• Military
  • 3 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2013, 07:31:46 PM »

Not going to another Hilton owned property now.

Offline J Frog

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2013, 10:15:32 PM »
I agree with the general point you are making with regard to objecting to 30.06 signs.

By the way, Hilton caused a huge nightmare in a similar way for the 2013 NRA convention in Houston, which had 86,000 attendees. Many of us carried guns to this show, which was in the George R. Brown Convention Center, physically attached to your Hilton by a breezeway. Not one of the 86,000 NRA guests that weekend was a shooter or got shot, by the way. A good time was had by all. But I heard that many people refused to cross the “30.06” no guns signage and therefore did not attend the Friends of NRA banquet held at the Hilton. I did not attend for this reason, ...

However, you are incorrect in the above statements.  I attended the Thursday night "Friends of the NRA" banquet at the annual meeting, as well as the Sunday morning prayer breakfast.  There were no 30.06 signs anywhere in sight . . .  and I looked for them.

Offline gueroaero

• Military
  • 3 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2013, 10:32:22 PM »
I agree with the general point you are making with regard to objecting to 30.06 signs.

By the way, Hilton caused a huge nightmare in a similar way for the 2013 NRA convention in Houston, which had 86,000 attendees. Many of us carried guns to this show, which was in the George R. Brown Convention Center, physically attached to your Hilton by a breezeway. Not one of the 86,000 NRA guests that weekend was a shooter or got shot, by the way. A good time was had by all. But I heard that many people refused to cross the “30.06” no guns signage and therefore did not attend the Friends of NRA banquet held at the Hilton. I did not attend for this reason, ...

However, you are incorrect in the above statements.  I attended the Thursday night "Friends of the NRA" banquet at the annual meeting, as well as the Sunday morning prayer breakfast.  There were no 30.06 signs anywhere in sight . . .  and I looked for them.

Um.....welcome to texasgunforum....? lol

Online Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Just Plain Scary
  • Same S#!± Different Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 10:37:13 PM »
True dat............

Jeb
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

"...........Not that I'm into hugging dudes..........." 

Offline Ochotona

• Supporting Member
  • Gun Show Attendee
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2013, 05:31:35 AM »
Apparently the signs were removed. But since I didn't go, I could not have known. Even NRA thought there would be signs, I spoke to the event coordinator myself in early 2013.

would you be willing to update the texas3006.com database?

Ochotona Princeps

Offline 308nato

• Military
  • Single Stage Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2013, 08:59:38 PM »
Great letter ,hope you get a reply.
Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty.
Thomas Jefferson.

Caedite eos.Novitenim Donimus Qui Sunteius.

The new ballet of good over evil is called
The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie.

Offline riattta

• Military
  • Progressive Reloader
  • NRA RSO
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 04:27:12 PM »
I stopped staying at Hiltons long ago. I couldn't in my right mind fund the debauchery of Paris Hilton.

Offline rs2

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 05:24:57 PM »
I stayed at the Hilton Americanas in downtown Houston the other night and booked it through hotwire. I did not know where I would be staying until after I paid for the room and noticed the 30.06 sign on both entrances as well as the walkway from the parking garage. When I was checking out in the morning, I asked for the Manager to complain about the signage. When the Manager approached me, she brought the Director of Security with her. He informed me that it is a Corporate Policy that ALL Hiltons in the State of Texas have the signage at their entrances. In the previous couple of months I have stayed at the Hilton in San Antonio by the airport as well as the Hilton in Clear Lake. Neither of these properties have the signage that I was told was Corporate Policy. I also called the San Antonio Hilton to verify what I was told and was told that they had never heard anything like that. I was told that as long as I was licensed to carry in Texas, I was more than welcome to return to the San Antonio Hilton with my firearm.

Offline Christopherloaf

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 08:07:13 PM »
I'm a Marriott kind of guy.

Offline Ochotona

• Supporting Member
  • Gun Show Attendee
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 12:26:54 PM »
LIARS !!!

I asked for the Manager to complain about the signage. When the Manager approached me, she brought the Director of Security with her. He informed me that it is a Corporate Policy that ALL Hiltons in the State of Texas have the signage at their entrances. In the previous couple of months I have stayed at the Hilton in San Antonio by the airport as well as the Hilton in Clear Lake. Neither of these properties have the signage that I was told was Corporate Policy.
Ochotona Princeps

Offline Pistolero

• Owns a Gunbelt
    • View Profile
    • Pistolero Handgun Training
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2013, 01:53:50 PM »
Got a reply yet?
God and the soldier we adore
  In times of danger, not before.
The danger gone, the trouble righted,
  God's forgotten, the soldier slighted.
www.pistolerohandguntraining.com

Offline Ochotona

• Supporting Member
  • Gun Show Attendee
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2013, 08:13:45 PM »
Ochotona Princeps

Offline Ochotona

• Supporting Member
  • Gun Show Attendee
    • View Profile
Another reason to not stay at hilton
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2013, 08:39:58 PM »
Guest shocked to death in the pool at Westchase Hilton, 9999 Westheimer, Houston, TX 77042.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=9247349
Ochotona Princeps

Offline Ochotona

• Supporting Member
  • Gun Show Attendee
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2013, 07:41:30 PM »
The thread never dies because Hilton never fixes their mistake. We have to keep reminding people to not use Hilton.

Sign below not legal (not contrasting letters), but it still pisses me off, and I don't want to be the test case either...

Hilton at Houston George R. Brown Convention Center, 9/24/2013.

Ochotona Princeps