Author Topic: TEXAS GUN TRADER ROBBERY  (Read 21644 times)

Offline getfreenrelax

• Knows How to Use a Holster
  • Banned!
    • View Profile
TEXAS GUN TRADER ROBBERY
« on: December 31, 2011, 08:55:31 AM »
Ok, I have heard many things over this event. What are the specifics? As far as I know someone  got robbed and had their fire arm stripped from them from an unknown person in texasguntrader. Who was this?

Honestly, how many of you actually have a round chambered ready to go when doing fire arms deals just in case? I honestly believe many texas guntrader fellows get too comfortable when doing a fire arms transaction privately. When I sell I treat it like a high-risk deal. I have to have my money first before the good comes out and it has to be in my hands. I double check my cash count and than I pass the goods with a bill of sale. However, I pack and make sure I don't get tooken for.

Any of you sold your fire arms at night or are any of you weary doing transactions at night? I think night time makes it a little more dangerous. I definitely have back up.

Offline Domineaux

• Administrator
  • Tactical Genius
  • Work from home server admin and family man
    • View Profile
    • Suggestions by Domineaux
Re: TEXAS GUN TRADER ROBBERY
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 09:13:19 AM »
Haven't yet made a ftf firearm transaction that wasn't with an FFL but I'll damn sure have a round chambered and ready when I do.
I'd be ok with early evening in a well lit parking lot close enough to a store that it would be on camera.
Situation awareness is critical as well so make sure to scope the area for extra folks that might be sitting in cars nearby etc.
"One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."

Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!
Suggestions by Domineaux
-Tony

Offline qtrain

• Can Rack the Slide
  • Tier 1 Bacon-Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 09:33:15 AM »
I've done FTF transactions at night a few times. Honestly I would avoid it if at all possible. The 2 transactions were with CHL holders but anyone can lie and say they have one over the phone, show up and then rob you blind. If it had to be at night, I'd bring a few friends who have CHL/CCWs as well.

Daytime transactions for me occur at places like Academy, Gander Mountain, or public gun ranges. The biggest transaction for me to date (me selling a high dollar item and receiving a large sum of money in cash) happened at Memorial Shooting Center. There was a HCSO vehicle parked outside with the engine running. That felt like another level of safety with a first responder just yards away.
As the great warrior-poet Ice Cube once said, "If the day does not require an AK, it is good."

BG1960

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 09:48:08 AM »
I have done more than a few FTF deals over the years, all without any drama at all.  I don't think I would take too kindly to anyone that demanded money in their hand and counted before they came out with the goods.  Matter of fact, I can't think of anything that would make it seem more like a robbery.  As far as having a round chambered, who doesn't?  Although, if I'm actually FTF with a robber, I am pretty certain I would go for my knife.  I guess if I was suspicious of a deal, I would just pass on it.   Night, no problem, Academy's always have great parking lot lighting.

Offline getfreenrelax

• Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
Thats how i do things. I am not big in to trust when it comes to fire arms regardless if its a ffl or private seller. LOL. People can hand you fake dollar bills or short change you. I have had some instances where I felt weary of a person wanting to look at my gun in their car and they have the cash too with the engine running lol. I am just careful. Im blunt and to the point. It is business and i treat it as such.

BG1960

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 11:56:19 AM »
The OL says I'm 'brutally honest'  :P

The great thing about it is, it's your gun an your deal, you can set the rules. 

Offline michaele

• Expert Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2011, 12:49:06 PM »
I have done several buys,  none at night.   I always have my carry gun on me just like normal.   Have always meet somewhere with alot of traffic but we all know people dont pay attention to anything around them anyway.   

Offline XinTX

• Gun Junkie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2011, 01:31:00 PM »
Done a few FTF transactions, one with a board member here.  No problems.  Only one made my antennae go up a bit, but we were meeting in a VERY public place.  And once we met, I realized I was just being my normal worry wart self.  But so far no problems. 
They may have said "The pen is mightier than the sword". But, a rocket launcher puts down Microsoft word any day.

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Can Shoot Blindfolded
  • Yes, I really AM an idiot.
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2011, 01:45:47 PM »
I have done many FTF transactions. I ALWAYS choose the location. I have done a couple after dark, just because of schedule conflicts. I am always armed. I've had a disagreement here with someone about it (on another forum thread on this topic) but we sit in MY car. I do check under the seat after they are gone, to make sure they didn't drop anything illegal in the car.

But, I have control of my vehicle. I have no idea what might be hidden in theirs (weapons). Granted, they can have a gun on them, but I do watch their hands as well as I can.

If they have a 2nd person with them, I ask that the 2nd person remain in THEIR vehicle.

I've never had an issue. I have only refused the sale of a gun to 1 person... A Five Seven. Guy had a strong foreign accent, and he would not sign my bill of sale that stated he could legally own a firearm. He kept stating it was his "Obama insurance" and he didn't want a paper trail. But no bill of sale signature, and I do not sell the gun.

Typically, I try to mention that I have a bill of sale for both of us in my email correspondence. With this guy, I forgot. And, he is the ONLY guy who ever had issue with it. And, after it was over, there may have been some reason why he could not legally own a gun. Who knows. THAT was the only one that made me nervous after he flat out refused to sign it. It was after dark, and my radar went way up because I didn't want him to just take it or try to rob me...

Otherwise, all have been fine, and I have no problems with FTf sales.  (and, I sold the Five Seven to someone else 2 weeks later)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 09:46:46 PM by Shipwreck »
Ok, my idiocy is spreading as a plan is coming together :P

Not stupid, you just have severe gun ADHD ;)

Offline Ghetto

• Professional Target Hanger
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2011, 05:25:42 PM »
I've done several FTF transactions over the years, day time, night time etc.. and have never had a problem. I always do it in a public place (McDonalds, Academy etc..) and have never had a problem.
It's never a shame to die doing what you love.

Online Adam

• Mail Orders Gun Supplies
    • View Profile
    • Shiloh Tactical Shooters IDPA
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2011, 06:45:03 PM »
I meet during the day, I only meet in populated areas, and I've yet to hear an argument that convinces me to not have a round in the chamber.

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Janitor
  • Administrator
  • Ammunition Expert
  • Only the dead have seen the end of war.
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Blog
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2011, 09:37:07 PM »
you guys can meet at the gun shop here to do your ftf, i dont mind, im there 7 days a week anyways. :th_thicon_lol:
(i know this doesnt help those who live far away)

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Janitor
  • Administrator
  • Ammunition Expert
  • Only the dead have seen the end of war.
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Blog
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2011, 09:42:15 PM »
also to share- i once met a guy in an apartment complex to buy a sig (before i was a dealer) and i was armed, +1 as always, and made him enter my vehicle as I am in control in my vehicle.

Upon inspecting the Sig I noticed the serial number plate had been sloppily pulled off the bottom of the gun (it was a polymer frame Sig) and rather than say "HEY THIS IS STOLEN!" I just calmly asked what the marks were from. The guy said he "had a flashlight on it and when he took it of it scratched up the plastic"..

I told him i was expecting the gun to be in good condition, and would like to decline my offer. I removed the slide from the frame (in case he had a loaded mag in his pocket) and gave it back to him.

Ironically I started this forum a few days later...

Offline getfreenrelax

• Banned!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2011, 10:16:37 PM »
Hey I want to buy an AR-15? What do you recommend for a begginer? Iron sights first than maybe other sights?

Offline 40khammer

• Progressive Reloader
  • "Rook"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2012, 02:00:41 PM »
I make sure my meets are set up in a busy parking lot right next to a drive through for a fast food restaurant.  I also always bring a second person.  Usually my GF.  We'll both be armed and ready.

I won't give somebody money for an item until I've inspected it, so I couldn't expect the other person to pay me before I bring out the weapon.  I do, however make sure there's no ammo for the gun nearby.

Online Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Just Plain Scary
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2012, 09:43:43 PM »
Never sold one, but I've made two ftf buys. One from a member of Beretttaforum.net and one from a member here. Both in broad daylight in a academy parking lot. Both times me and the seller chatted a bit, I was handed the weapon to inspect it, gave it back while I got out the cash, counted it in front of them, then exchanged. No problems. If someone asked me for the cash before showing me the gun, I'd pass. I mean I understand if it was at night in the hood, but I wouldn't be making a deal there anyway. Lol.   I'm always armed, regardless of what I'm doing, and I also have never heard ANY good reason to not keep one chambered.  When buying from a forum member I normally feel a little at ease anyway. But I DO keep my radar up for anyone paying us any attention. Don't want some hood thinking he can rob US, get a gun AND the money.
Jeb
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

"...........Not that I'm into hugging dudes..........." 

Offline CGP

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2012, 10:20:55 PM »
I've done several FTF deals. I try to set the location - usually in a public place where there's a lot of activity but still discreet. No deals at night. Preferred would be at the gun range or the local gun shop. So far, everyone I've dealt with has been good, honest people. I do carry with one in the chamber within reach AT ALL TIMES, just in case.

Offline mnp54

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2012, 08:10:19 AM »
It scares me to meet anywhere isolated.

Offline michaele

• Expert Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2012, 02:17:31 PM »
. I mean I understand if it was at night in the hood, but I wouldn't be making a deal there anyway. Lol.   
I had one guy meet me off of woodridge before, he asked several times if I was sure I wanted to meet there.      He has going out of town and we had to meet on my lunch break and that was about the mid point for both of us, and I knew some cops working the area.   He looked worried the whole time. 

Offline SpecOpsDocRet

• Gun Show Attendee
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 06:56:34 PM »
I have done many FTF transactions. I ALWAYS choose the location. I have done a couple after dark, just because of schedule conflicts. I am always armed. I've had a disagreement here with someone about it (on another forum thread on this topic) but we sit in MY car. I do check under the seat after they are gone, to make sure they didn't drop anything illegal in the car.

But, I have control of my vehicle. I have no idea what might be hidden in theirs (weapons). Granted, they can have a gun on them, but I do watch their hands as well as I can.

If they have a 2nd person with them, I ask that the 2nd person remain in THEIR vehicle.

I've never had an issue. I have only refused the sale of a gun to 1 person... A Five Seven. Guy had a strong foreign accent, and he would not sign my bill of sale that stated he could legally own a firearm. He kept stating it was his "Obama insurance" and he didn't want a paper trail. But no bill of sale signature, and I do not sell the gun.

Typically, I try to mention that I have a bill of sale for both of us in my email correspondence. With this guy, I forgot. And, he is the ONLY guy who ever had issue with it. And, after it was over, there may have been some reason why he could not legally own a gun. Who knows. THAT was the only one that made me nervous after he flat out refused to sign it. It was after dark, and my radar went way up because I didn't want him to just take it or try to rob me...

Otherwise, all have been fine, and I have no problems with FTf sales.  (and, I sold the Five Seven to someone else 2 weeks later)

I have done numerous deals over the years and have meet several great guys from here .  My only thing to add is the following for me.

1.  I never get in someone elses car or they in mine doing the deal.  To easy to get distracted while some booger eater rolls up your 6.

2.  No meeting at someones house or apt complex.

3.  For the very rare night time deal I always bring some one with me.  Normally one of my Rotties.

4.   I like to chat up who I'm meeting before the deal is done and depending on how I feel we procede or I walk.

5.  I like to meet in big, high traffic parking lots but not be able to be boxed in or rolled up on.

Just my 2cents.
" You can die like a Tiger or live like a pussy "