Author Topic: best all around deer hunting rifle for the price  (Read 3300 times)

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Janitor
  • Administrator
  • Ammunition Expert
  • Only the dead have seen the end of war.
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Blog
best all around deer hunting rifle for the price
« on: February 05, 2011, 06:38:03 PM »
anyone into hunting that can give me an idea what the best value for a deer hunting rifle would be? i plan on going on my first deer hunt next season. im debating getting an ar platform but i dont think i would resist the urge to double tap

Offline Jbird

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 07:18:11 PM »
Remington 700 in a 270 caliber is plenty of gun for Texas unless you get out in south or west Texas where a 500 yard shot is not unheard of and then a 300 would be a good option. Now you need to think about a scope a good one is going to cost more than the gun.

Offline hasben

• Range Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 08:55:35 PM »
.270 is a good choice for Texas. For the money, I think it is hard to beat some of the Savage rifles with the Accutrigger system. Lot of gun for the money.
"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…" - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Joethe33

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 03:55:52 PM »
Remington 700 ADL is in the mid 400s.

Offline cbunt1

• Expert Magazine Loader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2011, 11:51:36 AM »
Personally, I have and love the .270 for Texas critters. If you think you might want to go to larger animals (big muleys, Elk) in the future and want to keep the same gun, consider a 30-06 instead. If you handload, or know someone who does, you can get identical balistics out of either cartridge with modern projectiles and poweders.

Remington 700, or Winchester M-70's are both top of the line (production) models and the differences are insignificant. If you're looking on the used market, the old-school versions of the Ruger M77 are wonderful guns, and can often be had reasonably...they're a great combination of the Remington and Winchester's features.

You do understand that "Best Caliber" or "Best Rifle" is both a multiple beverage discussion, and has started many arguments? I've been involved in one such discussion for over 20 years! LOL
With most things in life, it\'s not that you came up with the right answer but that you thought it through and asked the right question!

American by birth
Texan by the Grace of God!

scap99

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2011, 10:19:16 PM »
Savage is hard to beat for out of the box and ready to go for a reasonable price.
Rem 700 is the hot rod and has all the bells and whistles available for aftermarket tweaking.

For little white tail deer: .308, .243, or .270 would fit the bill real nice.

"Best" is definitely an argument starter/friendship ender....but there's plenty of excellent opinions in the above responses.

If you really want to fuel the fire....

What glass do you plan on mounting to the rifle?  That's a question that is almost as polarizing as discussing politics or religion.

Dwc46

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 11:10:28 AM »
I am partial th 30.06 because I hunt mule deer in Wyoming occassionally and I handload.  However, I have killed deer with .410 slug (East Texas woods) when I was growing up.  8yr old grandson took nice 4 point with handloaded 65gr GameKing 5.56 at 95yds.  Shot placement is critcal with smaller calibre.  I have just converted a Thompson Center contender into a 6.8 Rem. carbine for him to use next year.  Texas deer are small, unless you have a high dollar South Texas lease :) and .243 and up have taken a lot of them.  Find a brand you can afford and pick the calibre you can handle the recoil on.

Offline schmellba99

• Can Tell a Magazine From a Clip
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2011, 08:23:53 PM »
I'm a Winchester Model 70 fan.  I'm also a firm believer that the .243 Winchester is quite possibly the perfect white tail round.

I'm not nearly the accomplished deer hunter that many are, but I've yet to have a deer take more than a step or two when my little 95 grain BST punches both lungs and heart out of my .243.  Out to 400 yards, it's a great deer round, and most people really short change the capability of the round.

Offline deadlast

• Range Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 03:40:35 AM »
If you are going to only buy one hunting rifle in your life time I would say Remmington 700 or Winchester 70 in 30.06 you can buy ammo at almost any sporting goods store to take any game in North America. Elk, deer(whitetail black tail and mule) Bears( black, brown, grizzly and polar) pronghorns, wild pigs and any thing else on four legs or two for that matter. That said if your planning hunting deer in Texas I think a .243 is fine, I have taken a bunch of deer with that round

Offline puma guy

• Range Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 11:58:50 AM »
Quote from: scap99;813
Savage is hard to beat for out of the box and ready to go for a reasonable price.
Rem 700 is the hot rod and has all the bells and whistles available for aftermarket tweaking.

For little white tail deer: .308, .243, or .270 would fit the bill real nice.

"Best" is definitely an argument starter/friendship ender....but there's plenty of excellent opinions in the above responses.

If you really want to fuel the fire....

What glass do you plan on mounting to the rifle?  That's a question that is almost as polarizing as discussing politics or religion.

Bullet placement is the key to any DRT shoot no matter what caliber.  
I will stay out of the caliber recommendation fracus, though I was in the sporting goods business in the sixties and early 70's and offered opinions often. I will offer advice on optics here.  Spend at least as much on you rifle scope as you do on your rifle. That goes for binoculars also.  I won't get into scope tube diameter ie. 30mm vs 1" but get a large (50mm) objective on your scope. A 30mm tubed scope has a little more elevation and windage adjustment, but getting more light through a 30mm is a myth.   3-9 or 4-12x is adequate for most applications in the state.  Binocs should be at least 8x40 in my opinion.  Good luck.
CHL
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member
100 Club Life Member
Texas Firearms Coalition Member
www.TexasCHLForum.com
www.texasfirearmscoalition.com/

KahrPM40
S&W Mod 60

My Faith, My Gun, The Constitution; I cling to all three!

scap99

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 06:32:22 PM »
Quote from: puma guy;2005
Bullet placement is the key to any DRT shoot no matter what caliber.  
I will stay out of the caliber recommendation fracus, though I was in the sporting goods business in the sixties and early 70's and offered opinions often. I will offer advice on optics here.  Spend at least as much on you rifle scope as you do on your rifle. That goes for binoculars also.  I won't get into scope tube diameter ie. 30mm vs 1" but get a large (50mm) objective on your scope. A 30mm tubed scope has a little more elevation and windage adjustment, but getting more light through a 30mm is a myth.   3-9 or 4-12x is adequate for most applications in the state.  Binocs should be at least 8x40 in my opinion.  Good luck.

You don't always have to spend as much on the scope as you did on the rifle.  I got one of these:
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P42527.aspx
It's a rugged, well built scope, and amazingly clear for its price point.

It's more than enough to hit a deer sized target out to a responsible distance. <--- responsible distance varies by individual, bullet, rifle, weather, terrain, etc. etc. etc.  Only you know how far out you can humanely take down an animal.

Offline puma guy

• Range Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 08:35:48 PM »
Quote from: scap99;2031
You don't always have to spend as much on the scope as you did on the rifle.  I got one of these:
http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-10x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P42527.aspx
It's a rugged, well built scope, and amazingly clear for its price point.

It's more than enough to hit a deer sized target out to a responsible distance. <--- responsible distance varies by individual, bullet, rifle, weather, terrain, etc. etc. etc.  Only you know how far out you can humanely take down an animal.

Looks like it gets good reviews and gets the job done. Without comparing light transmission specs, ER, exit pupil I couldn't/wouldn't say buy or not.  For 800 bucks for a fixed power it should have upper end qualities, but comparison on paper and looking through especially in low light it are the true test.
CHL
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member
100 Club Life Member
www.TexasCHLForum.com

KahrPM40
S&W Mod 60

scap99

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 09:19:16 PM »
I think it gathers light really well in low light.
It's not enough magnification to count hair, but I'm not shooting to split hairs.

Offline puma guy

• Range Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 09:54:02 PM »
Man if it works for you that's what counts.  I'm not familiar with the brand I'm not saying it's not a good scope. As I said at that price for a fixed power tells me it should have quaility glass.  I have everything from Bushnell/Bausch&Lomb, Leupold, Nikon-to Zeiss scopes and binocs. Each has it's use and I use what works!
CHL
NRA Life Member
TSRA Member
100 Club Life Member
www.TexasCHLForum.com

KahrPM40
S&W Mod 60

scap99

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 10:07:48 PM »
Right on. :cool:

Offline texshooter

• 15 Yard Shooter
  • Loves the Feel of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 06:03:13 PM »
any 700 bolt action in .270 will do it for most of texas

I'd spend more on the scope than the rifle. I bought a 270 for about 350, but spent a good 600 on a nice leupold scope. Amazing light collection and crystal clear. I compared it to my friend's nikon and I prefer the leupold.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 02:57:50 AM by texshooter »
A 1911 Fanatic

Offline Aggydaddy

• Range Rat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2011, 02:04:42 PM »
my 2 cents worth:  a Remington 30-06 700 BDL topped with a Leupold 3-9x has never let me down.   I damaged the scope several years ago and Leupold repaired it with no charge.  apparently when they say "lifetime guarantee" they mean it.  Never had any problem with any Remington but , if I did, it could be repaired almost anywhere in the world.  My rifle likes 165 gr. Federal Premium the best.  Be sure to take the time to find out what to feed yours.
Cogito, ergo armatum sum.
I think, therefore I am armed.

Offline Ron M.

• Progressive Reloader
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2011, 07:13:37 PM »
I prefer the Howa 1500 or Weatherby Vanguard. If your a hand loader the 280 Remington or 7x64 Brenneke is a great choice. the selection of 7mm bullets makes for a very flexible cartridge. I use a 140gr or 165gr ballistic tip for deer and a 164gr or 175gr partition or SPCE for larger animals.  

For a non hand loader it's hard to beat the 270 or 30-06. They are each capable of taking about any game animal in North America.

Ron M.
"The Problem with Political Jokes Is They Get Elected."

--Will Rogers

Deja poo. The feeling like you been through this sh*t before...

--Me

Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss.

--Robert A. Heinlein

Offline texjam

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
Re: best all around deer hunting rifle for the price
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2011, 09:22:55 AM »
A Marlin 336 3030 of course

Offline kdog22

• Hits the Target
  • Zombie Killer
    • View Profile
Re: best all around deer hunting rifle for the price
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 09:56:51 AM »
The Marlin 30-30 is a great gun. People consider that a really good brush gun as well.

I bought a Remington 770 30-06 which is the rifle/scope package for a hair over $300 brand new. Simple/ inexpensive bolt action gun that i love so far. 30-06 has you covered for just about anything you need to hunt in Texas. :)
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed" Thomas Jefferson.

http://themutineers.info/            :rocknroll: