Author Topic: Quick review: M&M M10 AK-47  (Read 14107 times)

Offline tenring

• Gun Show Attendee
    • View Profile
Quick review: M&M M10 AK-47
« on: March 16, 2012, 03:19:44 PM »
Okay, did a quick rundown on AR-15.com, thought i'd share here FWIW:

Bought mine from Classic Arms, 499.99 plus shipping and transfer, into it for about 530.00. Classic shipped really fast.

Fit feels tight everywhere, safety is seriously tight, and dust cover is way tighter to remove and replace than the old MAK-90's I used to own which are my only other experience with AK's. The entire gun feels really solid.

Rails look nice, the cool combo gasblock/front sight is nice. Rail covers are a bunch of the little short ones, rubber and fit fine. Front sight is not in the least canted as far as I can tell. Weapon had been test fired (but not cleaned afterwards), ran a mop through it and dusted off the bolt.

Tapco stock is solid and well attached, but abysmally short for a tall guy, will be replacing that.

Promag magazine supplied is wobbly side-to-side as others have mentioned. Difficult to insert, easy to do wrong, and already looked chewed up after only two go-rounds, if someone wants it they can have it , but I sure wouldn't bet my life on it and won't be using it. Metal surplus mag fit just fine, nice and solid, I have several more on the way from AIM surplus.

The Hogue grip is a really nice feature!

Forgot how much more an AK punches the shoulder, not cushy at all like my AR, but no biggie, a better stock with a decent pad should fix that.

The rear sight is not one of the plus'es of this gun, small, teeny tiny gap, hard to see through with older eyeballs. That being said, it was only one click off from the factory from being perfectly aligned as far as windage goes. The front sight is hooded, and the post from the factory sits up pretty high, but it shot acceptably low from the short distance I was shooting at, probably right on the money at 100 yards or so.

There was a little more scuffing on the gun overall than I like to see on a new gun, but it had to travel a long ways and had a lot done to it before I ever saw it, so no biggie.

It doesn't say anything but Romanian on Classic's site, but it is definitely an M&M, the box says it, and it's all over the gun. The machine work is obviously CNC, not some dremel hack.

Comes with a side-mount fixture already on the gun, so no drilling if you want to mount a conventional scope, this is a very nice feature.

I only shot at 20 yards or so, my eyes are old and bad, so a scope is a necessity for me to really check the accuracy of a rifle at longer ranges, but after getting it adjusted, I put 30 rounds into one ragged hole about the size of one of the new dollar coins, dead in the center. I imagine with a machine rest that it should shoot 1.5-2.0 MOA from 100 with decent ammo.

All in all a nice little rifle, will be shot for pleasure, maybe hunt a deer or two, and of course a nice plenty-of-ammo-to-be-had-laying-around zombie apocalypse gun to have in the collection.

The internet sucks. Too many whack-jobs, i'm retiring to farm now, goodbye.

Online Cajunautoxer

• Can Rack the Slide
    • View Profile
Re: Quick review: M&M M10 AK-47
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 04:05:25 PM »
I've been thinking about picking up one that shoots 5.45

Offline Cav Cop

• Law Enforcement Officer
  • Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2012, 06:21:24 PM »
I have found the Tapco triggers to be great.  Rifle looks good.

Offline tenring

• Gun Show Attendee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2012, 09:59:28 PM »
I have found the Tapco triggers to be great.  Rifle looks good.

I did forget to mention that, the Tapco trigger is really nice, much better trigger than you would expect to be on a kinda middle tier import rifle like this....the only thing bad really was getting over the price, I remember buying a milled receiver MAK-90 back in the day for under $300.00, stamped as cheap as $189.00, and they were actually nice clean accurate little rifles even with the thumbhole stock.

Offline Dreamliner787

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 09:44:34 PM »
tenring - do you know the classic item number for this M&M?  Thanks.

Offline Dreamliner787

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 12:05:33 PM »
Got one on the way!  At $499 online it's the best price around.

Offline tenring

• Gun Show Attendee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 02:37:28 PM »
Cool, I thought they were out of stock, at least when I looked a day or two ago they were?

Just pulled the Tapco stock off mine, got a Vltor extension tube on the way to do a 6 position collapsible, friggin expensive, but the Vltor is one of only 2 or 3 that is an aluminum tube instead of plastic, and i want to be able to bash zombie heads with it and not have it break :thumbsup1:

Online Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Just Plain Scary
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 08:28:27 PM »
Cool, I thought they were out of stock, at least when I looked a day or two ago they were?

Just pulled the Tapco stock off mine, got a Vltor extension tube on the way to do a 6 position collapsible, friggin expensive, but the Vltor is one of only 2 or 3 that is an aluminum tube instead of plastic, and i want to be able to bash zombie heads with it and not have it break :thumbsup1:

:th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol: :rocknroll2: :rocknroll2: :th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol:
Jeb
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

"...........Not that I'm into hugging dudes..........." 

Offline Dreamliner787

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 09:02:33 PM »
I bought it through KY Gun Company as soon as I saw the posting on Slickguns, but within an hour after I made the purchase it was listed as sold out.  Seems like lower costs AKs are really in high demand now.  Glad my order went through!

Offline tenring

• Gun Show Attendee
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2012, 10:06:08 AM »
I bought it through KY Gun Company as soon as I saw the posting on Slickguns, but within an hour after I made the purchase it was listed as sold out.  Seems like lower costs AKs are really in high demand now.  Glad my order went through!

Cool deal, glad you got one, yep, AK's seem to be in high demand, AR's too, pre-election run-up looks like, but it will settle IMO, not going to be as bad as 2008....i think. Lots more manufacturers and importers this time around.

The M&M looks to be the best bang for the buck right now, my buddy has one too and he also has an Arsenal that he paid a fair bit more for, and he says there's not much difference that he can see in the two....it was just hard to buy for me, I remember buying Mak-90's for under 200 bucks, and tins of ammo for dirt cheap too, made for some awesome weekend shooting sessions. :th_thicon_idea:

Offline Dreamliner787

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2012, 08:23:16 PM »
Which AK mags works good on the M10?  Yeah I remember the good ole days whes SKS was $100 and Norinco AKs were $200.  Should have stocked up back then. 

Offline tenring

• Gun Show Attendee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2012, 08:33:08 AM »
Which AK mags works good on the M10?

I bought a few of these, about the cheapest i've seen steel AK mags, haven't shot through them yet, but I can't imagine having an issue, these are just like the old steel mags we used to get with those MAK-90's, pretty much bulletproof and they fit just fine:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MAK47E30&name=Surplus+European+Steel+AK47+7.62x39+30rd+Magazines&groupid=15