Author Topic: The Motorist Protection Act - EXPLAINED  (Read 3888 times)

Offline Rusty Shackleford

• Janitor
  • Administrator
  • Ammunition Expert
  • Only the dead have seen the end of war.
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Blog
The Motorist Protection Act - EXPLAINED
« on: June 05, 2012, 06:46:28 PM »
http://www.houstongunblog.com/archives/861

I get a lot of people in the Houston gun shop who have no idea that it can be perfectly legal to carry a loaded firearm in their vehicle.(4 golden rules)

The motorist protection act is one of many things I go over in my weekly Texas Concealed Handgun License Class here at Houston Gun Forum Gun Shop and CHL Classroom. I feel that overall lack of knowledge on the subject calls for me to explain it very clearly, so you can easily share this with your friends and family who might not have the most up to date information.

The Texas Motorist Protection Act (MPA) : HB 1815 is very simple.

In 2009 the Texas legislature passed HB 1815, also known as The Motorist Protection Act (MPA). The bill affects the Penal Code, allowing citizens to carry a handgun “inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person’s control”, providing:
the handgun remains concealed
the person is not engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic
the person is not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm
the person is not a member of a criminal street gang
Pretty cut and dry right?

It is a little more complicated than it seems, as there are some very important points to consider. Leaving an unsecured firearm in your vehicle is never a good idea. Also Federal property such as the Post Office and some Texas Parks (Corps of Army Engineers Projects) are off limits to the storage of firearms, even if its in your vehicle locked away in the parking lot.

I sell a variety of small safes and security boxes that are specifically designed to keep your firearm and other valuables completely safe from smash and grab bandits.

If you know someone who may not know about this law, share this! We need to stay informed as good law-abiding citizens. We have been given a very important and valuable opportunity to legally protect ourselves, or family, and our property from violent criminals. Its a proven fact that in places where there are more guns allowed to be carried legally, there is less crime. Violent criminals want easy, unarmed, scared prey. They do not want ANYTHING to do with armed, confident, and educated people.

Know your rights! Come to Houston CHL class and get legal to carry, and get the knowledge you need to do so without violating any laws! A CHL license is not a free pass to carry anywhere you like, there are many Texas gun laws and regulations to the licensed concealed carry of a firearm, and you need to know what they are before you strap on a holster!

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Just Plain Scary
  • Same S#!± Different Day
    • View Profile
The Motorist Protection Act - EXPLAINED
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 07:35:38 PM »
Cool cool.

Jeb
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

"...........Not that I'm into hugging dudes..........." 

Online Domineaux

• Administrator
  • Tactical Genius
  • Work from home server admin and family man
    • View Profile
    • Suggestions by Domineaux
Re: The Motorist Protection Act - EXPLAINED
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 08:04:17 PM »
Good share!
"One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."

Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!
Suggestions by Domineaux
-Tony

Offline 1911scott1980

• Military
  • Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 08:23:54 AM »
Nice post!  Thanks for the clarification!  There are so many variations running rampant on the subject so I'm really glad you posted this!  Until now, I was under the impression that there were stipulations such as, 1) You have to be either going to or returning from a firing range, 2) You had to be travelling across a minimum of 2 counties.
Guns don't kill people, fathers with pretty daughters do!

Offline AdioSS

• 3 Yard Shooter
    • View Profile
    • VEPR.org
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2013, 01:55:23 AM »
Technically, this is perfectly legal since it is a long gun & not a pistol   :icon_wink: :P
Cheston

Offline dred

• Gun Show Attendee
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2013, 10:20:32 AM »
Technically, this is perfectly legal since it is a long gun & not a pistol   :icon_wink: :P

AdioSS,

I'd still have SWAT pull them over to properly inspect their NFA paperwork.  Yes, it;s profiling and I admit my guilt without remorse.

Offline Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Just Plain Scary
  • Same S#!± Different Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2013, 03:39:59 PM »
Not if he chucked me the deuce when he rolled by............

Jeb
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

"...........Not that I'm into hugging dudes..........." 

Offline Steelhat

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2014, 06:56:18 PM »

I get a lot of people in the Houston gun shop who have no idea that it can be perfectly legal to carry a loaded firearm in their vehicle.(4 golden rules)

The motorist protection act is one of many things I go over in my weekly Texas Concealed Handgun License Class here at Houston Gun Forum Gun Shop and CHL Classroom. I feel that overall lack of knowledge on the subject calls for me to explain it very clearly, so you can easily share this with your friends and family who might not have the most up to date information.

The Texas Motorist Protection Act (MPA) : HB 1815 is very simple.

In 2009 the Texas legislature passed HB 1815, also known as The Motorist Protection Act (MPA). The bill affects the Penal Code, allowing citizens to carry a handgun “inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person’s control”, providing:
the handgun remains concealed
the person is not engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic
the person is not prohibited by law from possessing a firearm
the person is not a member of a criminal street gang

Does that also apply to motorcycles? I guess as long as I only go on a joyride from my home to my home and stay on the bike all the time I should be fine as long as I carry my handgun in a concealed holster. Am I right with my thinking or did I missed something?
S&W SD9VE
Sig P229SAS .40

Offline Shipwreck

• Administrator
  • Weapons Designer
  • I am GROOT!
    • View Profile
    • Texas Gun Forum
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2014, 07:55:13 PM »
I would think it must be stored on the bike in a side saddle, not concealed directly on you.

Offline Steelhat

• Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2014, 08:26:59 PM »
I thought that too at first but than I looked up the penal code:

PC §46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS
. (a) A person commits an
offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his
or her person
a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
(1) on the person’s own premises or premises under the person’s control; or
(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned
by the person or under the person’s control.

When I understand that right I can carry a handgun on a motorcycle as long as it is concealed, even in a holster.
S&W SD9VE
Sig P229SAS .40

Online Domineaux

• Administrator
  • Tactical Genius
  • Work from home server admin and family man
    • View Profile
    • Suggestions by Domineaux
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2014, 08:46:26 PM »
I thought that too at first but than I looked up the penal code:

PC §46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS
. (a) A person commits an
offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his
or her person
a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
(1) on the person’s own premises or premises under the person’s control; or
(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned
by the person or under the person’s control.

When I understand that right I can carry a handgun on a motorcycle as long as it is concealed, even in a holster.

Correct, a motorcycle is treated just like a car. If you must step off the bike when not directly en route between home and bike, leave it "in" the bike.
"One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."

Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!
Suggestions by Domineaux
-Tony