Author Topic: Stop calling it an assault rifle. Call it what it is...  (Read 1762 times)

Offline Mount51

• Junior Shooter
    • View Profile
Stop calling it an assault rifle. Call it what it is...
« on: December 22, 2012, 12:13:23 AM »
I'm getting tired of the talking heads saying,"why do people need assault rifles?". Then they filibuster while pro gun people try to answer intelligently. I was watching Prissy Morgan on CNN to see what he was saying.  His panel was saying the 2nd ammendment was written during the time of muskets that took a long time to reload and missed alot.  I don't remember reading that we have the right to keep and bear muskets.

Primarily we have these guns because they are fun to shoot.  They provide high power defense for the home and they are similar to what the military uses.  I say we start flooding the network with a new name.  Call it what it is, a Militia rifle.

Offline alexrex20

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Bullets are fast.
    • View Profile
Re: Stop calling it an assault rifle. Call it what it is...
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 12:23:45 AM »

Online Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Just Plain Scary
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2012, 12:29:00 AM »
That's flipping hilarious.

Jeb
"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch!"
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

"...........Not that I'm into hugging dudes..........." 

Offline Gilgondorin

• Brass Hoarder
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2012, 12:54:20 AM »
Actually, call it simply that: A rifle. Semi-Automatic if you want, but it's basically a rifle for Christ's sake, militia be d***ed (you can use ANY rifle in a Militia)!

It's so funny that you would mention assault rifles and semi-automatics and what not. Recently, I just got into an argument with someone on Facebook about it the other day. Someone posted this on Fb and started a comment civil war about it:

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/16060_551269721567248_1704859737_n.jpg

His argument was that semi-automatic weapons have no place in civilian hands because of the danger they pose to the public -- and that he knew all hunters in the state of Colorado would agree with him too, because he had several friends that hunt/own guns and they agree Semi-Automatic weapons are evil.

LONG story short (About 50 posts of rage, flaming, and in my case, complete and unflinching trolling by the actual true definition) he continued to brush off all my arguments like Mount51 said. He claimed he was not for gun control, but against semi-automatic firearms, and ignored our attempts to make him see light, until I showed him this video:

The Truth About Semi-Auto Firearms

....It turns out the whole time he had NO idea that the term "Semi-Automatic" meant one round per trigger pull. He thought it meant FULLY automatic (dumping the whole magazine on one trigger pull). In fact, several others I've spoken to over the years have gradually come to associate the term "select-fire fully automatic" with "Semi-Automatic" because a semi-automatic is apparently automatic part of the time (when you switch firing modes). It's no wonder three quarters of the American people have been brainwashed into thinking AR-15's and AK-47's are so bad; the stupid pesky-lefty controlled media and their buzz words and yellow journalism have successfully brainwashed the American people into believing that tripe!

I actually watched that video several years ago when I was still relatively new to guns myself, and even then it struck me as particularly good on the subject of AR-15's and AK-47's. I've kept it to show the uninformed when I encounter them, and have so far had a near 100% success rate in making them understand the difference.

Offline s4g3r

• Military
  • Knows How to Use a Holster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2012, 09:17:07 AM »

That's too funny. Original intention arguments always sound a lot like chuck Norris vs Bruce lee arguments to me.

Offline ray22

• Can Rack the Slide
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2012, 09:20:08 AM »
Oh man, this has been a pet peeve of mine for years. The use of term "assault weapon". I mean if I was to use the old joke about tearing someone arm off and beat them over the head with it, couldn't that too be considered an assault weapon. But unfortunately when congress passed the first ban under Clinton it became a legal term that has found it way into history. 
Freedom Isn't Free, Someone Has To Pay.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Military
  • Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2012, 09:30:42 AM »
i dont think there's anything wrong with the term "assault rifle" - it is what it is

i think the focus should be on the fact that gun owners have been collecting/shooting military style weapons forever

M1 Garands are still in high demand.......I own one as well as a Springfield 1903 A3

we buy these because it's a piece of military history

they're fun to shoot - but getting cute with names - or trying to convince the anti-gun lots that it's something it isnt - wont work

it would be more fruitful (in my opinion) to educate them on the history of military style gun ownership

Offline Domineaux

• Administrator
  • Tactical Genius
  • Work from home server admin and family man
    • View Profile
    • Suggestions by Domineaux
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2012, 09:48:32 AM »
I like the NSSF's term "modern sporting rifle" but agree with Bob, they are indeed military style rifles as have been popular with civilians forever, once the military rifles became heavily restricted by the "Gun Control Act(s)" they became available in neutered form which is what most of us are able to buy instead of the actual military versions.
"One cannot restrict the defiant by constraining the compliant."

Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!
Suggestions by Domineaux
-Tony

Offline Dreamliner787

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2012, 10:06:41 PM »
A lot of liberals think that AR means "assult rifle" which is one of those facts that no ever calls the media out on.  AR = Armalite.

Offline Bob Loblaw

• Military
  • Rimfire Rabbit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2012, 10:10:03 PM »
A lot of liberals think that AR means "assult rifle" which is one of those facts that no ever calls the media out on.  AR = Armalite.

if you're making a joke - haha

if you're not - you're wrong

AR DOES mean assault rifle

Offline Domineaux

• Administrator
  • Tactical Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2012, 10:14:39 PM »

if you're making a joke - haha

if you're not - you're wrong

AR DOES mean assault rifle

No it means Armalite Rifle:

The "AR" in AR-15 comes from the ArmaLite name. ArmaLite's AR-1, AR-5, and some subsequent models were bolt action rifles, the AR-7 a semiautomatic survival rifle and there are shotguns and pistols whose model numbers include the "AR" prefix.

http://www.armalite.com/images/Library/AL%20HISTORY%20COPY%202.pdf

Suggestions by Domineaux
-Tony

Online Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Just Plain Scary
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2012, 10:26:19 PM »
Lmfao.

I remembered reading that somewhere, but couldn't put my finger on it.
Jeb
Have you ever looked around at the group of people you are in and thought, "If the Zombie Apocalypse happens right now, this is what I have to work with."?

Offline TXDARKHORSE361

• Military
  • Doesn't Run Downrange
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2012, 10:35:56 PM »
In before magazine vs clip argument *hides*

Online Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Just Plain Scary
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2012, 11:30:16 PM »
 :th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol: :th_thicon_lol:
Jeb

Offline alexrex20

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Bullets are fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2012, 08:22:46 AM »

Well what do you expect when everyone calls them ARs, even us gun nuts? Whether it's an Armalite, a Colt or a Larue or a Bushmaster, we all still call them ARs. I'm sure you do it too.

Offline Dreamliner787

• Rimfire Shooter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2012, 08:35:03 AM »
You can call them what ever you want, my point is if no one stops or make an attempt to correct the media and liberals from these types of "word mistakes" then we've already lost the fight,

Offline alexrex20

• Concealed Carry Pro
  • Bullets are fast.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2012, 08:47:06 AM »
Why would it need correction if that's the terminology that we gun owners and gun nuts use?

Offline Domineaux

• Administrator
  • Tactical Genius
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2012, 08:53:27 AM »

Well what do you expect when everyone calls them ARs, even us gun nuts? Whether it's an Armalite, a Colt or a Larue or a Bushmaster, we all still call them ARs. I'm sure you do it too.

They are called AR's because they are all based on the AR-15 so "we" aren't referring to them as "Assault Rifles" in spite of the fact that many have been convinced that we are thanks to anti-gun politicians and media defining the meme once again.

Suggestions by Domineaux
-Tony

Online Jeb_66

• Administrator
  • Just Plain Scary
  • Same S#! Different Day
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2012, 10:14:21 AM »
I call mine a "Evil Killing Machine" and I call my mags "Endless Bullet Factory Clips". 

Jeb

Offline Gilgondorin

• Brass Hoarder
  • .: Gear of War :.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2012, 02:27:28 PM »
I remember reading an argument on the subject on another forum.

Consequently, someone who made a very strong case towards avoiding the shock-terms news media use, swayed me to use the term "Firearm" instead of "weapon" when and wherever possible. The more and more I've looked at news reports over the years since, the more I see that the lefties are indeed use "weapon" as a buzz term to scare people (right along with "High Power Assault Rifle"), confirming his assertion.

It really isn't a "weapon" unless you consider paper targets and dirt backstops human beings now, you turkeys! :th_thicon_lol: